Pisi Linux is a fork of the (PiSi-based) Pardus operating system and its unique technologies.
When it became apparent early in 2012 that for political/financial reasons, Pardus was to be abandoned, a small group of Turkish volunteers came together to preserve the unique features of Pardus. The name of this project is Anka (Turkish for Phoenix). Initially the Anka-Team believed the fork could be named Pardus-Anka. Ultimately this was not possible – hence re-branding to Pisi Linux as a reference to Pardus and its package system PiSi (Pisi is Turkish for kitty).
Aside from technical innovation, Pardus had a reputation for stability and ease of use. Our aim therefore, in maintaining and promoting original Pardus technologies is to provide an up to date, unique and technically elegant operating system which is also stable and user-friendly.
- Focused on ease-of-use and stability
- Pisi Linux is a ‘Rolling-release’ distribution
- 32bit packages for applications such as Skype and Steam are included
- There are over 6000 packages in the Pisi Linux repositories, with more added all the time
- Codecs for playing audio and video files are pre-installed
COMAR (Configuration MAnageR) Configures and integrates installed software. Pronounced as Chowmar.
PiSi (Packages Installed Successfully, as Intended), was built from scratch to address some shortcomings of traditional package management systems. It features a modern, simple, compact and highly efficient design.
Compared to other systems, it is easy to learn to build packages for yourself.
- Written in Python and uses XML for source files
- Incorporates both low and high-level operations (a separate tool such as APT, YUM, URPMI, is not required)
- Comprehensive CLI and GUI package management
- LZMA compression and delta updates (saving time, bandwidth and space)
- Utilizes Berkeley DB for fast database access
YALI (Yet Another Linux Installer) was designed with ease-of-use in mind, and should not pose a problem to the novice Linux user.
The install routine is staged thus:
- Language, Licensing, Validation of installation media and Time-zone settings
- Create regular user/s and an Administrator user
- Partitioning, File-system type, Mount-points and Swap-space
- Defaults or custom
- Summary of intended installation, prior to accept and commit install to disk
Note: as the installation proceeds, a slide-show will give you an opportunity to preview some aspects of Pisi Linux
Kaptan (Turkish for Captain) is a ‘desktop greeter’, which is automatically started post-install to assist with setting basic desktop preferences.
A number of options are made conveniently available in Kaptan, including:
- Mouse settings (L/R handed, single/double-click)
- Desktop background or theme
- Icon theme
Designed to speed up the boot process.
A video driver management tool (developed in-house by the Anka-Team)
Starting out as a purely Turkish project, Pisi Linux has evolved to become an international community effort. Since 2012 its team and contributors can also be found in Poland, Germany, Russia, Holland, America and UK.
Pisi Linux is translated into 14 languages: English, Dutch, German, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Croatian, Swedish, Ukrainian, Polish and Portuguese (Brazil). Translation to other languages is on-going.
|Version||Code Name||Release Date||Download link|
|Pisi-2.0Alfa5||KaraKedi Pre Release||30.08.2015||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.2||Stable Release||29.06.2015||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.2||Developer2 Testing ISO||15.01.2015||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.1||30.10.2014||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.0||14.08.2014||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.0 Beta 1||Sueño (Dream)||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.0 Beta 2||Sueño (Dream)||18.06.2013||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.0 Beta 3||Sueño (Dream)||25.06.2013||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.0 RC||İzmir||20.09.2013||Directory|
|Pisi Linux 1.0 RC2||Erdinc||18.03.2014||Directory|
- Pisi Linux official website (Universal)
- Pisi Linux Forum (Universal)
- Pisi Linux Wiki
- Pisi Linux ISO repository
- Pisi Linux Github
- Bug-Tracking System
- Developer Team Blog
- Pisi LIfe (Spanish Blog)
- Google+ Turkish
- Google+ English
- DistroWatch page